Fire crews, engines, helicopters and air tankers fanned out across Josephine County forestlands today and found 24 fires on Oregon Dept. of Forestry-protected lands, which include state, county and Bureau of Land Management lands. The largest fire being fought by ODF crews is the 20-acre Big Windy 16 Fire, located 10 miles west of Galice. The second largest fire is the 15-acre Brimstone Fire, located 5 miles southwest of Sunny Valley.
The other fires include:
- Three fires in the Hog Creek area, one of which is 5 acres and the other two combined total less than one acre;
- The Malone Peak Fire, which is 4 acres;
- The 4-acre McKnab Creek Fire, which has a fireline around it and mop-up is underway;
- The 3-acre Crooks Creek Fire;
- A 1 1/2-acre fire on Pickett Creek that has a fireline around it and mop-up is underway;
- The 4-acre Farmers Gulch Fire;
- Two fires in the Kelsey Peak area that have a combined total of less than 2 acres;
- The remaining fires are one acre in size or smaller.
On Saturday, the Oregon Dept. of Forestry’s Grants Pass Unit will be staffing all active fires, using many contractor crews and equipment, and ODF engines and personnel from other parts of western Oregon.