Continued hot and dry conditions across southwest Oregon, coupled with a recent oubreak of large wildfires,makes it necessary for the Oregon Department of Forestry’s Southwest Oregon District to shut down power equipment use in forests and other wildland areas. Chain saws, brush cutters and all other power-driven, spark-emitting equipment are affected by increased fire prevention regulations starting at 12:01 a.m. Friday, Aug. 2.
The public regulated use fire danger level remains “extreme” (red), but the Industrial Fire Precaution Level rises to Level 3 (three) tomorrow.
These reguations affect the 1.8 million acres of state, private, county and Bureau of Land Management forestlands in Jackson and Josephine counties.
Below are the specific regulations that take effect after midnight tonight:
- Smoking is prohibited while traveling, except in vehicles on improved roads;
- Debris burning is prohibited;
- Burn barrel use is prohibited;
- Open fires are prohibited, including campfires, charcoal fires, cooking fires and warming fires, except at designated locations. Portable cooking stoves using liquefied or bottled fuels are allowed;
- Chain saw use is prohibited;
- Use of motor vehicles, including motorcycles and all terrain vehicles, is prohibited, except on improved roads;
- Use of fireworks is prohibited;
- Cutting, grinding and welding of metal is prohibited;
- Mowing of dried and cured grass with power driven equipment is prohibited, except for the commercial culture and harvest of agricultural crops;
- Any electric fence controller in use shall be: 1) Listed be a nationally recognized testing laboratory or be certified by the Department of Consumer and Business Services; and 2) Operated in compliance with manufacturer’s instructions;
- Use of exploding targets is prohibited;
- Use of tracer ammunition or any bullet with a pyrotechnic charge in its base is prohibited;
- Any other spark-emitting machinery not specifically mentioned is prohibited;
- Use of sky lanterns is prohobited.
For more information about the Oregon Department of Forestry’s fire season regulations, contact the unit office in your area:
Medford Unit, 5286 Table Rock Rd., Central Point. Phone: (541) 664-3328
Grants Pass Unit, 5375 Monument Drive, Grants Pass. Phone: (541) 474-3152