Sun. Feb 23rd, 2020

Use Care with Fireworks

Oregon Department of Forestry firefighters took action yesterday on two fireworks-caused fires, one east of Cave Junction in Josephine County and one just north of Central Point in Jackson County. Neither fire caused any injuries or damage to any structure. 

Fireworks are part of many families’ Independence Day celebration, but care must be taken when using fireworks to ensure they don’t kindle a wildfire. Each spark from a firework is extremely hot — 1500 degrees — and will cause dry grass to immediately ignite. These hot sparks will also burn skin, hair and clothing. 

When using fireworks, do so on a large, unburnable surface such as a concrete driveway. Have water or a fire extinguisher close at hand. Soak spent fireworks in a bucket of water before disposing of fireworks debris. Supervise children so they may enjoy fireworks without suffering injury to their fingers or eyes. 

If a fire is caused or someone is injured, call 9-1-1 immediately.

Have a safe and fire-free Fourth of July.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: