JACKSON & JOSEPHINE COUNTIES, Ore. (July 26, 2021) – Increased fire danger on forestlands protected by the Oregon Department of Forestry’s Southwest Oregon District has made it necessary to increase the fire prevention measures on industrial operations, such as logging sites and other commercial operations. Industrial Fire Precaution Level III (IFPL 3) takes effect Wednesday, July 28, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. This regulation increase impacts industrial operations in Jackson and Josephine counties only.
For the general public, ODF Southwest’s fire restrictions remain in effect and unchanged with a fire danger level of “extreme” (red).
Under IFPL III, the following are prohibited between 1:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.:
- Power saws at loading sites;
- Loading or hauling of any product or material;
- Welding, cutting, or grinding of metal;
- Any other spark emitting operation not specifically
In addition, the following are permitted to operate overnight to the morning, between the hours of 8:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m., where mechanized equipment capable of constructing fire line is immediately available to quickly reach and effectively attack a fire start:
- Ground-based operations (tractor/skidder, feller-buncher, forwarder, or shovel logging operations);
- Power saws on ground-based operations;
- Rotary head saw feller-bunchers with a continuous Firewatch;
- Non-rotary head saw feller-bunchers;
- Tethered logging – winch-assisted, cable-assisted, traction-assisted, etc. systems, which enable ground- based timber harvesting machines to operate on steep slopes
This is considered a restricted shutdown and the following activities are not permitted at any time, except as noted:
- Cable yarding systems, except that gravity operated logging systems using non-motorized carriages or approved motorized carriages may operate between 8:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m., when all blocks and moving lines are suspended at least 10 feet above the ground (except the line between the carriage and the chokers).
For more information about the Oregon Department of Forestry’s fire season public and industrial restrictions, visit our website, www.swofire.com, our Facebook page @ODF Southwest Oregon District, or call the Southwest Oregon District unit office nearest to you:
- Medford Unit, 5286 Table Rock Rd., Central Point | (541) 664-3328
- Grants Pass Unit, 5375 Monument Dr., Grants Pass | (541) 474-3152